Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Hyperbolic pseudosphere



According to The Institute for Figuring, this is a pseudosphere - "the hyperbolic equivalent of a cone... constructed by starting from a single stitch and crocheting out in a spiral pattern." My rate of increase was two to every stitch. It grows fast!


I made a similar piece for my friend Elliott that I think his cats really dig, but I didn't know it had such a fancy name. I just thought it was a fun design. I added the shell that attaches to the center, or start, of the crenellated green piece. It, the peach/pink part, begins as a narrow cone that expands and envelopes the model when flipped inside out. Or, it can act as a flat base for the green part to rest on.


I like crochet that changes and is meant to be touched - crochet that you can manipulate and offers surprises.

No comments: